Slip & Fall Accidents: What to Do After!
However, the risk of slipping, falling, and becoming injured – whether it be at home, at work, or in a public or private place, is in large part something that can and does occur all year long.
Slip and fall accidents can and have resulted in serious, life-threatening injuries as well as in major financial losses for all parties involved. If you, or someone you love, has been involved in a slip and fall accident, the ability to recover compensation depends on numerous different factors.
Did the responsible party fail to warn potential victims?
Did they attempt to fix any hazards that they knew about?
The gravity of a slip and fall claim hinges on the unique circumstances at hand, and it’s important to have a team of trusted and knowledgeable attorneys like Lawfty Law on your side to make sure legal action is swift and beneficial.
The Many Different Types of Slip & Fall Accidents
There’s no one true definition of what a slip and fall case consists of, as they can vary in detail.
Here are some of the types of slip and fall cases that Lawfty Law has handled in the past:
- Staircases, Escalators, Elevators
- Sidewalks & Walkways
- Wet Floors (Workplace/Public)
- Parking Lots
- Unsafe Worksites
- Worn or Raised Flooring
While these cases can all appear to be completely different on the surface, one key aspect is that they all revolve around the same claim – negligence on behalf of the responsible party. This could mean a claim against property owner/property owners, general contractors, janitorial services/companies, and more. These types of claims are rooted in one of two types of liability:
- Premises Liability: The failure of the property owner/property owners to willingly address and rectify any potential hazards that could endanger the safety and well-being of patrons.
- Labor Law Liability: This is more for general contractors and site-owners, who are required to, but did not provide a safe working environment or working conditions to their employees.
It’s crucial for your personal injury attorney to be able to not only understand but explain and utilize the depth of your claim when actively pursuing compensation for any preventable harm and/or losses.
5 Things to Do After a Slip & Fall Accident
- Seek Medical Attention: Our attorneys have heard it a million times – “I’m okay, I can tough it out” or “I feel fine, don’t worry, I’ll be okay.” While you may feel fine, and think you’re able to tough it out after a slip & fall, we cannot stress enough the importance of seeking out medical attention from your primary care physician or through an urgent care walk-in. The last thing you want is to be injured in a slip & fall accident, but the defendant’s attorneys claiming that you’re not actually hurt because you refused medical treatment afterward.
- Report the Accident: As soon as a slip & fall accident has taken place, and once you’ve established that you or another party is not seriously injured/in danger, it’s crucial to make sure that you report it to whoever owns the property. It could be a store owner, a landlord, or a property manager, but it’s important to have them document your accident, and give you a copy of it for your records. It may also be important to call your local police department and have a police report filed as well.
- Take Pictures of the Accident Scene: We cannot stress this enough – document the scene of the accident. Write down exactly what happened, the time it took place, take pictures of any unfixed damage that caused you to slip, trip, and fall. If there are any witnesses, get their account of the events as well, and make sure to keep all documents where they can easily be found for your attorneys in the future.
- Avoid Talking About Your Claim: Oftentimes, after someone is involved in an accident, friends and family members, will reach out to make sure everything is alright, and to see if and how they can help. You may also receive calls or emails from property managers, owners, or insurance companies looking to gain information and protect themselves. You’re not required to speak to these people, and if anything, all communication should be done with your attorneys present.
- Speak to an Attorney: Last but not least, the most important step to take after this type of accident – speaking with a personal injury attorney. The local, knowledgable, Washington D.C. attorneys at Lawfty Law are highly experienced in slip & fall matters and will work to provide justice and compensation to those who are in need. We’re available 24/7 and there are no fees to speak to us about your case! From the initial consultation through to your settlement, we’ll be there to help you every step of the way.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Lawfty Law Today!
Our Team of Slip & Fall Accident Lawyers Work Hard to Prove Your Case.
Since 2013, the attorneys at Lawfty Law have recovered millions of dollars for Washington D.C. accident victims.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motor vehicle accident and suspect that someone’s negligence is to blame, you may be entitled to compensation!
Sign up for a free attorney consultation using the form below, and speak with us about your accident.
The consultation is always free, and so is the peace of mind that follows.
For immediate assistance, please call us at (202) 335-4854. Thanks!